History of Cheshire Beekeepersí Association
The Cheshire Beekeepersí Association originated with the formation of the joint Lancashire and Cheshire Association in July 1882, some eight years after the formation of the B.B.K.A. It was amongst the early County Associations and as far as is known it was the first joint County Association. Amonst the names of the initial committee was one well known today, W. Broughton Carr (of WBC hive fame). During the first year a small monthly Bee Journal called the Beekeepers Record was set up and some eight local Hon. Secretaries were appointed. The Joint Association continued until 1899.
The inaugural meeting was held on 20th February 1899 at Mr Chapmanís Restaurant, Eberle Street, Liverpool. The Rev. T.J. Evans proposed "That in the interests of beekeeping it would be advantageous and desirable that the Counties of Lancashire and Cheshire should be worked separately." This resolution was passed and the two Counties then held separate meetings.
At the end of the first year, membership stood at 323 with a steady increase until 1905. Several bad seasons and brood disease almost brought the Association to an end in 1910. With persistance the Association was built up and by 1932 membership was 650. A peak in membership of 1536 was reached in 1945.